EV suspension technology is a term that refers to the system that supports the wheels and absorbs the shocks from the road surface. EV suspension technology is different from conventional suspension because it can also generate electricity from the wheel movement and use it to recharge the battery. This can extend the range of electric vehicles and reduce their environmental impact.
There are several types of EV suspension technologies that have been developed or are in development. Some of them are:
- Michelin Activ Wheel: This is one of the earliest EV suspension systems, which was designed for the Heuliez WILL, an electric car that never made it to production. The Michelin Activ Wheel consists of two electric motors inside each wheel: one for driving and one for controlling the active suspension. The system eliminates the need for many mechanical components, such as a gearbox, clutch, transmission shaft, and anti-roll bar.
- Stony Brook University Regenerative Suspension: This is a system that was invented by a team led by Professor Lei Zuo in 2011. It can recover 100 to 400 watts of kinetic energy from the vertical suspension movement when the car travels at 100 km/h. The system uses a generator attached to a conventional spring and damper suspension to convert the vibration energy into electricity.
- Intertronic Gresser GmbH Regenerative Suspension: This is a system that was patented by a German company in 2014. It claims to increase the range by 50% in relation to the battery capacity. The system uses coupled linear generators to harvest energy from both the vertical and horizontal suspension movement. The company estimates that the system can produce 15 kWh of electricity over a distance of 100 km, assuming an average wheel movement of +/-25 mm per meter traveled.
The benefits of EV suspension are manifold. Here are some of them:
- Improved ride comfort: EV suspension can adjust the stiffness and damping of each wheel independently, according to the road conditions and driving preferences. This can enhance the ride comfort and handling performance of electric vehicles.
- Reduced noise and vibration: EV suspension can reduce the noise and vibration transmitted from the road to the cabin by using active noise cancellation and vibration isolation techniques. This can improve the acoustic comfort and safety of electric vehicles.
- Increased efficiency and range: EV suspension can recover some of the energy that is normally wasted as heat during braking and suspension movement. This can increase the efficiency and range of electric vehicles and reduce their carbon footprint.
- Lower maintenance costs: EV suspension can reduce the wear and tear of mechanical components, such as brakes, tires, and bearings. This can lower maintenance costs and extend the lifespan of electric vehicles.
EV suspension is a technology that can revolutionize the ride quality and efficiency of electric vehicles. It can offer many benefits to drivers, passengers, and the environment. As more electric vehicles enter the market, EV suspension technology will become more common and affordable. I hope you enjoyed this article and learned something new about EV suspension.